Sunday 24 February 2013

Week 2 - India

After a tumultuous first week, I am happy to report India and I have shook hands and made up (for now at least). I have, you see, discovered her better side. A bewildering array of breatth taking views and exquisite monuments. I've also become somewhat fond of the daily authentic Indian dishes (typically for just a couple of quid). I like to think I now know my pakoras from my parathas.


Celebrating a week Delhi Belly free with a street kachori


If you look carefully you can see a 17th century car inside Jodhpur fort


If you had any idea the lengths I went to get this photo! 
(Jodhpur Palace and Fort)


Sardar market - Jodhpur

Jodhpur is the place I wish I enjoyed most (because it feels like my preconceived idea of "Real India"), but if I'm honest, my favourite place so far has been Udaipur. Not so much because it is a modern(ish), picturesque city surrounded by serene lakes, but because I'm a sucker for a hot shower! It is also where they shot James Bond - Octopussy - as literally every Indian here will tell you.

The name's Bond. Jamal Bond.


Obligatory daily panoramic shot of a city (Udaipur)


 Riding my trusty steed in God knows where

 This just made me chuckle...

Right now, I'm in Pushkar; a tiny place, where the main days' activities are removing your shoes several dozen times and trying to avoid being scammed. I should probably also mention that it is considered one of the most holy places for Hindus and where Brahma (the alleged creator of the universe) is worshiped.

The "cleansing' baths - Pushkar

I can't help but feel that their scamming industry would go down a lot better if they didn't forbid alcohol. "Yesh sirrr, I do want to put this here pretty flower in the lake for the equivalent of a days' wages, but only because you'rre sucha good friend".

That's all for now folks!




1 comment: